March 23, 2011

Hot Dogs

As some of you may know, for quite some time I have been very VERY interested in owning/operating some sort of hot dog stand - possibly a food truck, cart or a permanent location.  I've been getting a little crazy with it lately - going as far as formulating unique hot dog concoctions.  Admittedly, some of my ideas were stolen while doing a little research online.  Am I batshiz crazy for even wanting to do this, let alone spending time to think up different hot dog ideas?

Here's a small glimpse into a couple of ideas i've come up with:

1) SLC Punk Dog - There are several things unique to SLC and Utah - two of those are Crown Burger's pastrami burger and the state's obsession with fry sauce.  There is a hot dog joint in SLC already offering a pastrami wrapped dog with fry sauce on it, so to twist it a little bit I thought why not incorporate an SLC Punk element.  If you've ever seen the movie you know that Steve-O and Bob prefer to drink beer.  Instead of a traditional dog I want to use a beer soaked dog or polish.  Thoughts?  I've also tampered with the idea of tying in some of SLC's great Greek food to this dog - maybe some feta sprinkled on top or use a gyros based dog?

2) Maple Dog (the name needs help) - I want to take a maple bar doughnut (excluding the frosting - just the doughnut shell) and hollow out the inside.  Coat the inside of the hollowed-out core with a maple syrup & mustard reduction, then insert a bacon-wrapped high-quality dog.  Pretty straight-forward but it sounds delicious.


Ang thinks I'm a little crazy, but is being supportive.  The next step in the process is to continue trying out recipes here at casa de Crouchies and see what does/doesn't work.  Gimme some feedback. :)

To wet your appetite a little bit




4 comments:

Shantell said...

Yum! I think next time you are in the neighborhood you should let us be your guinea pigs. We would love to try a good dog! Bet you can find some inspiration in Hawaii!

Ashleigh said...

No harm thinking about it. If you start to get serious, let me know and help you punch some numbers...

the fowlers said...

um, those sound amazing. i would totally eat those. super creative, too. i say keep at it as long as the wife will let you! ;)

Unknown said...

I still think you need to think about the Puka dog with Tara rolls-I found the recipe they use at PCC.